About This Image
A Mill has stood on this site since 1664 and believed to have been built of wood.
The present mill was built in 1793 by William Porter of Newport, a self-made man who could not read nor write. Yarmouth Mill was his last venture as the bank which financed him, took fright at the extent of his empire and withdrew its support.
Steam power was introduced at a later date, certainly by 1845 to supplement the weaker tides. The remains of the old brick chimney can be seen in this image at the north-east corner of the building.
Add A Comment About This Image