About This Image
Cabrini High School is named after Mother Cabrini or St. Francis Cabrini, the first saint to be identified in the United States. The facility of the school extends to Esplanade Avenue directly behind Moss Street. The facility on Esplanade was an orphanage at one time. Mother Cabrini came to New Orleans in 1895 and helped the orphans in the French Quarter. Her religious sisters and she, with the assistance of Captain Pizzati, moved to Esplanade Avenue in 1910. Here they ran the orphanage and helped educate the Italians who were moving into the area. The school was started in 1959 and is an all girls’ Catholic School. The two-story complex on Moss Street was completed in 1965.
Add A Comment About This Image