Currituck Beach Light Station
About This Image
214 steps to the top of this 162 ft beautiful brick lighthouse which was built in 1875 to fill the final "dark spot" along the Outer Banks of North Carolina, roughly 30 miles between Cape Henry Light to the north and Bodie Island light to the south. It was abandoned in 1939 and lovingly restored after the Outer Banks Conservationists signed a lease to assume the project in 1980.
Now the grounds are open to the public and the lighthouse keepers residences and other buildings are close to full restoration, though closed other than the quarters used as a terrific store.
The views of the Sound and the Atlantic are wonderful.
Add A Comment About This Image